JUSTICE CENTER HONG KONG IS HIRING A LEGAL OFFICER
Terms of Reference: Legal Officer May/June 2021
Purpose of position:
The Legal Officer works under the legal supervision of the Head of Legal Services to ensure the highest standard of legal services are provided to our clients.
The LO is managed by and reports to the Head of Legal Services and/or Senior Legal Advisor.
- Provide support and assistance in the delivery of the Clinical Education programme where necessary;
- Participate in the design and delivery of legal team trainings, internal training of staff and other trainings;
- Manage a caseload of Individual Assistance Clients;
- Support the Legal Team in developing the substance and quality of Justice Centre’s legal programme, including group and individual legal information and assistance services provided by staff, pro bono partners, clinic students, fellows, and volunteers;
- Review written legal work prepared by staff, pro bono partners, clinic students, fellows and volunteers, provide detailed feedback and coach team members to continually improve the quality of work product;
- Contribute to developing legal resources for staff, pro bono partners, clinic students, fellows and volunteers, including templates, training materials and legal information;
- Contribute to building the profile of Justice Centre, including attending speaking engagements with stakeholders within the legal and donor community;
- Contribute to the support and development of relationships with pro bono partners
- Contribute to direct delivery of legal services, including delivering legal information sessions and providing legal assistance to clients;
- Contribute to proposals and reports to Board and donors, including annual reports;
- Contribute to developing organisational strategy, networking with strategic partners, fundraising and whole-of-office initiatives;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Legal Services and other members of the Senior Management Team.
- Law degree or law conversion: LL.B, JD, GDL.
- Excellent writing ability and communication skills
- Ability to work sensitively and compassionately with vulnerable people.
- Admission to practice law and post qualification experience including training contract/ pupillage;
- Paid or volunteer experience in a legal and/or an NGO setting;
- Experience in either immigration, asylum, family, criminal, general civil law or public law
- Ability in relevant languages including Cantonese
Salary dependent on experience plus employee benefits include MPF, medical and dental insurance, flexible working (where appropriate and following mutual agreement with direct supervisor) and generous annual leave.
Please e-mail your CV and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Legal Officer’ – by midnight Friday 6th June.
Unfortunately, due to the high level of interest in our organisation, we are only able to reply to shortlisted applicants.