THE SCHOOL OF LAW AT SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY CARBONDALE seeks applicants for a faculty member who will also serve as the Director of Experiential Education. This is a full-time, continuing, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning January 1, 2022.
Experiential education integrates the theory and practice of law. At the School of Law, we seek to more fully integrate experiential education into the curriculum, and we seek to fill the position of Director to facilitate those efforts.
Southern Illinois University School of Law is an outstanding, small public law school that provides its students with an optimal mix of theoretical and experiential educational opportunities in a student- centered environment in order to prepare them for a changing legal profession in a global environment.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Director of Experiential Education will have the following responsibilities:
1. Coordinate Externship Program. This includes promoting and recruiting students and employers for summer public, private and judicial externships and coordinating data with the Career Services Department.
2. Coordinate skills courses, practice-ready courses, and co-curricular skills activities.
3. Teach classes in the general curriculum, particularly skills courses.
4. Identify and pursue opportunities to fund experiential education efforts.
5. Develop and administer pro bono programs.
6. Assist the faculty in meeting its goal of incorporating experiential education more fully into the curriculum.
7. The Director will be expected to perform service to the law school, to the university, to the community, and to the profession.
8. Administer Professionalism requirement.
9. Coordinate other activities such as semester away programs, rural practice initiative or law office incubator programs.
10. In coordination with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, oversee compliance with ABA Standard 304 on experiential education.
11. The Director will develop and maintain a scholarly agenda commensurate with rank and experience.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must possess either the Juris Doctor degree or its equivalent from an ABA accredited law school; at least 7 years of experience as an attorney or law professor; the potential to produce high quality scholarship. The cover letter should state the applicant's vision for experiential education.
Deadline to Apply: 8/26/21 or until filled
Please use the following link to apply https://jobs.siu.edu/job-details?jobid=12350
SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.