Hamline University School of Law (HUSL) seeks to hire a full-time tenured or tenure track faculty member to be the Associate Dean (or Director) for Experiential Learning. HUSL provides an outstanding traditional legal education, with value-added opportunities for every student to participate in clinics and externships, as well as competitions and mandatory pro bono activities. Offerings of simulation courses in lawyering and dispute resolution skills are also a hallmark of the Hamline law school education. We seek a new dean (or director) with faculty rank to expand, enhance, and provide more coordinated leadership for all of HUSL’s work-integrated learning opportunities. S/he will also directly manage either the externship or clinical programs of the law school.
The new Associate Dean (or Director) will provide key leadership to ensure that each J.D. candidate will be provided with simulation and/or workplace experience. More specifically, s/he will:
- •1. Assist the faculty in meeting its strategic goal of incorporating experiential education more fully into the curriculum, including the coordination, development and expansion of our existing experiential programs;
- •2. Engage in substantial outreach, including recruitment and supervision of adjunct practitioners to teach and supervise students;
- •3. Coordinate experiential opportunities with the work of the law school’s career services office;
- •4. Teach classroom components for externships or clinics; and, as agreed upon by the Dean and permitted by workload, other experiential classes in the curriculum;
- •5. Provide oversight for administrative duties necessary to a thriving experiential learning program including assisting with marketing of HUSL’s programs; providing student counseling; preparing operational policies for programs; and preparing budget documents;
- •6. Identify and pursue opportunities to fund experiential education efforts; and
- •7. Assist with experiential activities such as the mandatory pro bono requirement and Hamline’s student competitions.
The Associate Dean (or Director), as a faculty member, will develop and maintain a scholarly agenda commensurate with rank and experience.
Applicants must possess: a Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school; experience in clinical or experiential education; the potential to produce high quality scholarship and eligibility to be admitted to practice in Minnesota.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and three professional references (including addresses and phone numbers). Electronic submissions must be in Word or PDF format. Review of materials will begin as soon as they are received and will continue until the position is filled.
Send inquiries or applications to:
Professor Z. Jill Barclift, Chair of Faculty Appointments
Hamline University School of Law
1536 Hewitt Ave., St. Paul, MN 55104
firstname.lastname@example.org (with “Experiential Learning” in the subject heading)
Hamline is an EOE Employer. It is University policy to not tolerate harassment or discrimination based on race, color, gender, ethnic background, national origin, sexual or affectional preference or orientation, marital or parental status, disability, religion, age, or veteran status in its employment or educational opportunities.