HARVARD LAW SCHOOL (HLS) seeks to hire a Clinical Instructor to serve as the founding director of our new LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic.
Duties & Responsibilities
The new LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic will provide students with opportunities to develop practical lawyering skills that respond to the unmet needs of the LGBTQ+ communities. The Clinic can be structured as a traditional externship program or as a hybrid program that offers both an in-house clinical component and externship placements. The precise shape of the Clinic and its docket will be based on the skills and interests of the Clinical Instructor, an assessment of community priorities, student lawyering opportunities, and on-going feedback from clinic students, the community stakeholders and others. Under the Clinical Instructor's leadership, the structure of the Clinic may evolve over time to ensure the best fit among community need, student practice interests and pedagogical goals.
Candidates should have extensive experience advocating on behalf of LGBTQ+ communities and a commitment to expanding educational opportunities for law students in this area. Candidates should have the ability to form relationships with LGBTQ+ organizations, to develop externships placements and to pursue collaborative projects with community organizations, service providers, HLS in-house clinics, the pro bono private bar, etc. The Clinical Instructor will direct the Clinic, manage its day-to-day operation, supervise and mentor Clinic students. Pending nomination and faculty review, the Clinical Instructor will serve as a Lecturer on Law, teaching an accompanying clinical seminar on LGBTQ+ Advocacy.
The Clinical Instructor will join HLS's vibrant clinical community. HLS offers over 30 separate clinics through which over 1000 students per year provide high-quality, free legal services to thousands of people each year. HLS clinics also work on cutting edge law reform efforts across the United states and the world. This large and diverse clinical legal education program provides numerous opportunities for connection, collaboration and pedagogical innovation.
- Serve as Founding Director of the Clinic
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external organizations working on LGBTQ+ advocacy;
- Develop collaborative projects with external LGBTQ+ organizations
- Cultivate collaborative projects across HLS in-house clinics working on LGBTQ+ advocacy;
- Lead and manage the day-to-day operational and administrative tasks of the Clinic, including student outreach, communications, clinical policy compliance with internal and external requirements, and other tasks that arise;
- Match students to clinical projects
- Supervise clinical students on projects and train students on broad range of lawyering skills including problem-solving, law and policy analysis, research and writing, oral communication, and leadership;
- Mentor HLS students and build an inclusive community
- Teach Clinical seminar, pending faculty committee review
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice Dean concerning the work of the Clinic
J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school earned at least three years ago, and a minimum of 3 years of related work experience. Active membership in at least one Bar with eligibility to be admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.
Clinical teaching experience preferred demonstrated commitment to protect and advocate for LGBTQ+ rights demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion and building community experience with clinical pedagogy and in training, supervising, teaching and mentoring law students preferred excellent interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational skills.
The position is available as of July 1, 2019. However, we have flexibility as to the start date. It is anticipated that the Clinic will enroll its first students in Spring semester 2020. The position is for an initial two-year appointment, with the potential for renewal.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/v4ftdj299q2t86n9