THE UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO SCHOOL OF LAW is seeking to hire a Director of Externship Programs & Assistant Professor of Law. This is a full-time non-tenure track, term academic position. The Director oversees and administers the operation of the Externship Programs in accordance with academic policies determined by the School of Law faculty.The Externship Programs include the Civil and Criminal Law Externship Program and the Judicial Externship Program.
Clinical Teaching and Supervision
The Director is responsible for teaching and leading the academic course for students enrolled in Externship Programs, including students externing outside of the Bay Area who are unable to attend class sessions. The courses focus on lawyering skills, professionalism and ethics relevant to student externship assignments and legal practice. The Director will provide supplemental curricula for externship programs and clinics for specific practice areas and, when appropriate, supervise faculty teaching those courses.
Program Policy Evaluation and Development
The Director is responsible for:
- approving and monitoring externship placements, including conducting site visits, training supervisors and identifying and addressing issues that arise during an externship;
- counseling students considering enrollment in an externship;
- creating and supervising new externship programs and clinics for specific practice areas;
- creating, supervising, and developing curricula for full-time externships and externships outside of the Bay Area (including students externing internationally through this program);
- serving as a contact person for students and the public at-large for the Externship Programs;
- collaborating with and supervising other faculty and administrators on the development and promotion of the law school’s clinical legal education curriculum;
- and participating in national academic discourse regarding externship programs through conferences, on-line discussions, scholarship, and the Bay Area Consortium of Externships (BACE);
- preparing memoranda, collecting data and other material, and maintaining records about specific externship sites, student performance, and the Externship Programs in general; and is charged with ensuring that all the School of Law Externship Programs comply with ABA Standards and AALS Bylaws.
J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar. Excellent organizational, communication and collaborative skills. Ability to work effectively with both internal and external constituents. Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and ability to work with diverse populations. Understanding of, and ability to work for, the mission and goals of the University of San Francisco School of Law. Demonstrated good judgment and common sense. A professional demeanor and demonstrated energetic creativity, integrity, reliability, initiative, diligence, and respect for others. Experience working with law students preferred. Experience practicing law (preferably litigation) and/or administrative/teaching experience in a law school totaling a minimum of 5 years, is required.
Additional Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
The Director prepares the budget and monitors the expenses for the Externship Programs and the accompanying administrative support; assigns, reviews, and evaluates the work of the Externship Programs Assistant; and assumes such other duties as may be designated by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs or their delegate.
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time
Pay Rate: Salary
Apply here: https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Full-Time_Faculty/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Director--Externship-Programs---Assistant-Professor_R0001374