ST. JOHN'S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
Title: Associate Director of Career Development & Coordinator of the Externship Program
Department: Law School – Career Development
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Services and working closely with the Associate Academic Dean and the Director of the Career Development Office, the Associate Director will administer the Law School’s growing and robust Externship Program, which places students in a variety of practice settings in both the private and public sectors to gain real world practice experience.
The Associate Director supervises one assistant. Depending on the experience of the candidate, this position may be filled at the Director level.
• The Associate Director will review potential placements to determine whether they are appropriate, educational experiences.
• Review existing placements to ensure that they comply with ABA and law school standards.
• Make site visits as necessary.
• Work with career counselors to develop new placements, particularly with private firms and corporations.
• Advise students on potential externships.
• Review student applications.
• Other duties as assigned, including some career counseling functions.
• A Juris Doctor degree.
• At least 3 years of legal practice experience.
• Superior interpersonal, administrative, and computer skills, and knowledge of the legal profession.
• Experience in law school externships is strongly desired.
• This position is subject to a comprehensive background screen, with employment contingent upon satisfactory results. If access to a University vehicle is required for the position, a DMV check for driving record and valid driver’s license is also required.
Candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest, addressed to Larry Cunningham, Associate Dean for Student Services, at http://149.6813.50/hr/landing.html
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
Queens, NY, US.