In advancing the mission "to advocate for clinical legal education," CLEA serves as a voice for clinical teachers and represents their interests inside and outside the academy.” As such, CLEA has been a vigorous advocate on matters relating to clinical teachers and clinical legal education over the years.
ABA TASK FORCE ON THE FUTURE OF LEGAL EDUCATION
- CLEA's comment to the ABA Task Force on the Future of Legal Education (June 2013)
ABA ACCREDITATION STANDARDS
CLEA plays a constant role monitoring and commenting on matters relevant to professors who teach in clinics and skills courses taken up by the ABA Section on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar, its Council, its Standards Review Committee, and other relevant bodies. The current standards for approval of law schools can be found at this site. Below are filings on CLEA’s behalf:
Curriculum & Outcome Measures
Academic Freedom and Security of Position
Law School Admissions
Experiential Learning Standards
Standard Allowing Proposals for Amendments to the Standards
- CLEA’s letter to the SRC regarding failure to provide any notice for proposed elimination of Standard 803(d) (Feb. 2014)
Bar Passage Requirements
- CLEA's statement of the Board of Directors on the 2020 Bar Examination (April 2020)
- CLEA's joint statement again rejecting ABA resolution to amend Standard 316 (February 2019)
- CLEA comment rejecting ABA resolution to amend Standard 316 (January 2019)
- CLEA comment regarding ABA’s proposed revision for Standard 316 (July 2016)
- CLEA & SALT's comment on proposed Standard 316 -- Bar Passage (Jan. 2014)
- CLEA & SALT's comment on Standard 316 -- Bar Passage (Oct. 2013)
- CLEA & SALT's Bar Passage Statement (April 2013)
- CLEA's comments on Standard 309 and Erica Moeser's memorandum regarding Bar Passage rates (Jan 2013)
- CLEA's comments regarding proposed Standard 309, "bar passage."
- CLEA Bar Passage Statement (July 2011)
Accreditation of Foreign Law Schools
BRIEFS AND OTHER ADVOCACY
CLEA prepares amicus briefs and other advocacy documents on matters relevant to clinical legal education and the professors who teach in clinical courses:
CLEA's joint statement with the Society of American Law Teachers (SALT) and others, to the Council on the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar urging the Council to increase transparency in its processes and engage in meaningful dialogue with all interested constituencies before making decisions that affect law schools and the legal profession (February 20, 2019).
- CLEA submitted a letter to the Council of the ABA Section on Legal Education & Admissions to the Bar regarding the Standards Review Committee's Planning Retreat (Sept. 8, 2016).
- CLEA submitted a letter to the California State Bar regarding the proposed 15-unit experiential bar admission requirement (July 18,2016).
- CLEA submitted comment on the Bar Admission Skills Competency Proposal of the New York Court of Appeals Task Force on Experiential Learning and Admission to the Bar (November 9, 2015).
- CLEA's letter regarding proposal that New York State adopt the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE).
- CLEA's Amicus Brief regarding EAJA fees in Veteran's cases
CLEA's Report to ABA Council (Dec. '14)
CLEA’s comment on the Phase II Implementing Recommendations of the California Task Force on Admissions Regulation (September 11, 2014)
CLEA's letter to the California State Bar Regulation, Admissions and Discipline Committee regarding the final report of the Task Force on Admissions Regulation Reform (September 5, 2013).
- CLEA's letter to John Streeter, Chairman of California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (June 10, 2013)
- CLEA's second comment to the California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (May 30, 2012)
- CLEA's comments to California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (April 17, 2012)
- CLEA's comments to the Department of Education's National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity, concerning the American Bar Association Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar's Petition for Renewal of Recognition (June 2011).
- Legislative Threat Against Louisiana Clinical Programs: CLEA Letter (May 2010)
- Legislative Threat Against Univ. of Maryland Clinical Program: CLEA Statement (Mar. 2010)
- Sussex Commons v. Rutgers (application of public records act to law clinic files):
- NJ Sup Court Amicus Brief (Dec. 2010)
- Appellate Court Amicus Brief (May 2009)
- Trial Court Opinion (N.J. Superior Ct., Oct. 2008)
- Trial Court Amicus Brief (May 2008)
- Wishnatsky v. Rovner (challenge to right of clinic to choose clients and cases)
- 8th Circuit Amicus Brief (Dec. 2004)
- District Court Amicus Brief (May 2004)
- North Dakota Attorney General Op. (2003-L-42, Sept. 2003)
- Comments to North Dakota Attorney General (Sept. 2003)
- Lousiana Student Practice Rule (La. Sup. Ct. restrictions on student practice)
- 5th Circuit Amicus Brief (Jan. 2000)
- District Court Amicus Brief (1999)
- Press Release & Complaint (Apr. 1999)
- Comments to La. Supreme Court (Dec. 1997)
- Palm v. Univ. of Chicago: Amicus Brief (Mar. 2008)