UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO SCHOOL OF LAW is hiring a Staff Attorney for its Veterans Legal Clinic in the School of Law.
(Full-Time/ Benefits Eligible)
Veterans Legal Clinic - School of Law
University of Illinois Chicago
The UIC School of Law, Chicago’s only public law school, is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Veterans Legal Clinic. Salary = $75,000.
The Veterans Legal Clinic is committed to effective advocacy on behalf of veterans and their family members. It advocates for veterans before the Department of Veterans Affairs and various military boards to enable veterans to access healthcare and disability benefits.
The Staff Attorney will supervise law students in their representation of clients in hearings and appellate proceedings to help clients obtain veterans benefits and military discharge upgrades. Staff attorney will perform intakes, manage cases, deadlines, and work with the Director to create a supportive learning environment.
The ideal candidate will be able to work in a fast-pace collaborative environment to serve clients and the community.
- Teach, mentor, supervise, evaluate, and structure the practice work of law students.
- Represent clients in cases and projects in the clinic’s subject matter areas.
- Develop relationships with client communities, organizations, and client populations.
- Conduct community outreach and develop marketing and outreach materials.
- Conduct and supervise community legal education.
- Teach in the clinic seminar, alone or with the Director of the Clinic or other clinic attorneys.
- Manage, in collaboration with the Clinic Director and other clinic attorneys, and supervise students in the administrative aspects of the management of a law office.
- Manage grant reporting in coordination with the Clinic Director and administrative staff.
- Handle clinic’s cases and projects during breaks in the academic calendar.
- Participate in special project as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
A Juris Doctor from an ABA approved Law School is required as well as an active Illinois License, or ability to be admitted by motion to the Illinois Bar; and experience in handling veterans’ benefits or discharge upgrade cases, and knowledge of the U.S. military justice system.
Preferred qualifications include: experience mentoring, supervising, or teaching law students; strong oral and written communication, organization skills, time management, and case management; a commitment to racial justice and client-centered lawyering; and experience utilizing trauma informed interviewing for at-risk or in-crisis clients.
All full time benefits eligible positions include a comprehensive benefits package which include; Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability & AD&D insurance, a defined benefit pension plan as well as paid leave which includes; Vacation, Holiday and Sick. In addition, we offer tuition waivers for employees and dependents. Click for a complete list of benefits at: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/benefits.
For fullest consideration, submit a letter of intent, current resume, and the names of 3 references by June 24, 2022 to https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=162252
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, Veteran, or disability status.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.