Albany Law School seeks a staff attorney to work in The Edward P. Swyer Justice Center providing legal advocacy services and direct representation to clients in its Community Economic Development Clinic and performing other related duties. Appointment will be as Associate Staff Attorney, Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney, depending on experience. We value diversity and seek applicants from backgrounds that add to a community that aims to foster respect and inclusion.
Essential Job Functions:
· Provides direct client representation or technical assistance to clinic clients and partner agencies, as necessary.
· At the Director’s discretion, assists in direct supervision of clinic students in providing representation, counseling, technical assistance, referrals, and advice to Clinic clients and partner agencies.
· May assist Director in the selection of clients and development of legal matters.
· Conducts community outreach as directed.
· May assist Director in meeting donor/major gift/grant objectives, including attending meetings, drafting reports and contributing to matters impacting Clinic policy.
· Assists Director with organizational tasks for classroom (student manuals, syllabi, readings, and guest speakers).
· Performs legal research as needed, particularly with regard to student legal representation issues and long-term scholarship projects of the Director.
· Provides limited instruction in classroom, at the discretion of and under the supervision of the Director.
· Handles client representation during breaks and summer.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
· Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
· Excellent lawyering and litigation skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent legal research skills and analysis.
· Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite products, Lexis and Westlaw.
· Juris Doctor from an ABA approved law school.
· Admission to the New York State Bar.
· Two or more years of practical legal experience in the area of community economic development/ entrepreneurship & start-ups preferred. Recent law school graduate with clinical legal experience or coursework in business organizations or real estate issues will be considered.
· Valid driver’s license.
To apply, please submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the contact information for at least three references. Questions should be addressed to Professors Fermin Mendez (email@example.com) and Ted De Barbieri (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The estimated salary range for this position is $55,000-$75,000 per year, plus comprehensive benefits package. Salary offered will be based on the successful candidate’s relevant experience, knowledge, skills and abilities, and in consideration of internal equity.
Established in 1851, Albany Law School is the oldest independent law school in the nation and the oldest law school in New York State. Located in New York’s capital city, the law school offers an attractive and affordable live-work environment in between the Adirondack, Catskill, and Berkshire mountains, as well as the entire Hudson River Valley. Our faculty are productive, collaborative, and growth-oriented. Our students—23% of whom come from a diverse background—are among the best in the nation.
Albany Law School is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants who reflect the diversity of our student body, and community. We encourage applicants including first-gen professionals, women, applicants of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and other members of systemically marginalized groups.