ALBANY LAW SCHOOL'S Law Clinic & Justice Center seeks a Staff Attorney to provide legal advocacy services and direct representation to clients in its Immigration Law Clinic and to perform other related duties pursuant to grants and contracts.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts client intake as necessary.
- Provides direct client representation or technical assistance as necessary.
- At the Director’s discretion, confers with and assists clinic students in providing direct representation, counseling, technical assistance, referrals, and advice to Clinic clients and partner agencies.
- Conducts community outreach as directed.
- Assists in meeting grant objectives and drafting quarterly grant reports.
- Assists Director with organizational tasks for classroom (student manuals, syllabi, readings, and guest speakers).
- Performs legal research as needed, particularly with regard to student legal representation issues and long-term scholarship projects of the Director.
- Provides limited instruction in classroom, at the discretion of the Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent lawyering skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent legal research skills and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite products, Lexis and Westlaw.
- Juris Doctor from an ABA approved law school.
- Admission to the New York State Bar.
- At least two years of actual practice experience in New York.
- Two or more years of practical legal experience in the area of Immigration Law. Familiarity with New York Family Court practice preferred.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
Interested applicants are invited to apply on Albany Law School’s Site. Review of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Albany Law School is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce.